Monday, February 13, 2006

Senses Working Overtime

Senses Working Overtime:

Aural 5:
1. Broken Social Scene: All I can say is that anything might happen, and it does. You never know if you'll get a sudden horn section, or a disintegration into noise, or a complete emotional tone change. Like they’re playing in a wind tunnel with lots of shit flying around, and bashing into them, but this is a good thing. Drummer is some kind of animal with more than 2 arms. Or there’s just more than one drummer. There’s like sixteen people in the band. Anyone who can make you want to sing along to this lyric is on to something: “When I was a kid/You fucked me in the ass/But I took my pen to my paper/And I passed you/You know I love the shit/Cause the shit tastes so good/I’ve got pastures waiting in the woods.” Try “It’s All Gonna Break” or “Ibi Dreams of Pavement”
2. Edan: The record is Beauty and the Beat. So maybe I’m wrong, and drugs ARE good. Fractured, wall-of-sound super-fresh flow psychedelic hip-hop. Just how many people can you name-check in one song? Who is this guy? Ask Edan. He will tell you. If you file-share, try: “Rock and Roll” and “Torture Chamber.”
3. Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate: In the Heart of the Moon. These are kora and guitar duets. This is like early-Sunday-morning, spiritual, I'm-glad-I'm-alive-music. I don’t know what the heck is going on Mali, but I sure wish this was as popular as Ashlee Simpson. Aw shit, just go buy the damn thing. These guys deserve even the 13 cents they make on the record sale. Besides they’ll never tour.
4. Bizarre white trash family picnic with compulsory Winnebago for each member at Lagoon Valley Park in Vacaville.. They all had these miniature motorized gas-powered boats and race-cars “It’s an offense to the ear.” Nails on a blackboard kinda shit.
5. Patients where I work all yelling for something at the same time. This keeps echoing even when I sleep.

Visual 5:
1. “City of God” and “The Constant Gardener” directed by Fernando Mereilles. These two movies are messing with my head. Run out and see them now. City of God is about youth life in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro. Visually hyperkinetic, dextrous narrative style, tremendous energy, not for the faint of heart. If you can’t stand art that looks ugliness in the face, but shows the beauty present as well, then this is not for you. Gardener is an adaptation of a LeCarre novel with Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz. It’s definitely more Hollywood than City of God, but not by much. Haunting moments that I will never clean out of my head. Gorgeous. Both of ‘em. If you rent it, invite me over, I’m serious.
2. This dry erase board (see below). I think that is somehow communicating the whole of events simultaneously in a way that makes me feel angry and weak at the same time.
3. Thumbsucker: Mike Mills film about troubled youth with typically fucked up situation. Very simple resolutions to complex emotional problems, but very good at reflecting internal states visually. Funny and sad.
4. Sundown HWY 80 Westbound near Vallejo on 2/11.
5. The open palm visual from the David Lynch film Dune. The movie's a piece of shit, but I used to hallucinate that image all the time, back when I hallucinated regularly. But I still see it sometimes, even when not hallucinating. And never when I'm driving. And certainly not when I'm working. Oh, forget it.

Olfactory 5:
1. The six or seven dead skunks I’ve seen on the road in the last two days.
2. A crazy-stale cigar I smoked on Sunday.
3. My dog’s farts. I don’t know what he ate, but it’s crazy.
4. The insane mélange of “brown patrol” toxic pollution where I work. Think about it. You’ll figure it out.
5. My wonderful wife’s kitchen. It just always smell so damn good in the house. Unless the dog farted.

Tactile/Proprioception 5:
1. The release I had in my right buttock when I bowled that strike today.
2. My super-bitchen DGA Reef putt and approach disc my friend J’sh gave me, when it left my hand, and went right in the chain-net from 25 ft. away.
3. My doggie’s soft face fur on my lips.
4. My wife's hand on mine while we drive.
5. Very hot showers after work.

Flava 5:
1. Fruit Floes (Trad’r Joe’s popsicles) No shit, they’re awesome.
2. Having my wife’s great dinner altered when I heard George Carlin’s version of the very dirty joke in “The Aristocrats.” Do not attempt to view while eating.
3. The dessert: (during Thumbsucker after viewing change) Strawberries blended into Vanilla ice cream, with homemade caramel on top, served with these full-size ginger snaps.
4. That same crazy stale cigar. I think it’s still in my mouth.
5. Popcorn with yeast rocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home